With the aim to strengthen world-class research activities in Umeå, Umeå Centre for Microbial Research (UCMR) and Umeå Plant Science Centre (UPSC), the two national Centres of Excellence, in collaboration with other research centres will launch a new ‘Excellence by Choice’ Postdoctoral Programme (EC Postdoctoral Programme). The programme is funded by Knut and Alice Wallenberg Foundation, Kempe Foundation and Umeå University with Professor Emmanuelle Charpentier as patron and mentor of the programme.
The programme will fund postdoctoral fellowships and organize activities to strengthen networking and collaborations. The programme aims to recruit 17 postdocs on fellowships through three international calls for 5-6 fellowships each.
The programme will grant each fellowship 600,000 kr over a 2-year term (25,000 Kr/month), as well as additional 300,000 kr for running costs and 20,000 kr for career development of the postdoc.
Who can participate?
Note that at least two PIs need to collaborate to host one of the candidates.
- Main PI active affiliated with UCMR or UPSC with position at UmU or SLU, Co-PI with position at UmU or SLU.
- At least one Co-PI should be included with the aim to foster interactions and to renew collaborative network.
- The main PI must have on-going peer-reviewed project grant(s) obtained as the main applicant from VR or ERC.
- The PI and Co-PI who currently are receiving support from the ‘EC’ postdoc programme are not eligible.
What to do for a participation?
Step 1: Please provide the following information using this Project template: Project_template_EC_postdoc_programme.docx
- Project title
- A very short summary (max 2 sentences) of the project idea that a postdoc candidate should be developing.
- A statement (max ½ page) about PI’s activities within the UCMR and UPSC research environment and how their expertise complements with each other in the proposed new collaborative project.
- Information about your current research project support from the funding agencies, i.e. a copy of the project summary with information details from the project database.
- A statement (max ½ page) about how the new project idea is different from the ongoing projects.
Please see also the enclosed complete guidelines for further information: Guidelines_EC_postdoc_programme.pdf